The Hidden Cost of Work Place Absence
Whilst direct costs have a significant effect on both employers and employees alike, the indirect costs can also be considerable.
• Sickness absence costs the UK around £15 billion annually in lost economic output
• £13 billion is spent on health related state benefits
• In the NHS almost 40% of staff sickness absence is due to musculoskeletal conditions, e.g. back pain
• 5% of sickness absence becomes long term, lasts over four weeks and accounts for almost half of the total working days lost each year
• There is an 80% chance that if absent for six months an individual will be out of work for five years.